Low carb foods are foods that are low in sugars and starches and high in protein and fats.
Foods which are low in carbs include:
- Foods that are high in protein: beef, pork, lamb, veal, fish, shellfish, chicken and other poultry, eggs, and other animal-based foods. Cold cuts, bacon, and sausage are also allowed.
- High Fat Dairy Products: creamy, soft cheeses such as cream cheese, aged cheeses such as Parmesan, Blue, Brie and Cheddar, and other high-fat dairy products such as butter, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: These include all green leafy vegetables, salad greens, mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, cabbage, and bok choy. Cauliflower and broccoli are also good, but tomatoes, avocados, and onions have some carbs and should be limited. Starchy, sweet vegetables should be avoided; this group includes potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, winter squash, corn, carrots, and peas.
- Nuts and Seeds: Macadamia nuts are the lowest in carbs, while Cashews are high in carbs. In between are pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, and seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin.
- Fats and Oils: Natural fats such as butter, lard, olive oil, and organic virgin coconut oils are the best. Avoid refined vegetable oils, margarine, and other hydrogenated fats.